What we stand for
We are a patriotic party of the Scottish centre-right which stands for freedom, enterprise, community and equality of opportunity.
We are a party of choice, responsibility, localism, low taxation and strong but limited government.
- We are a party which champions individual choice. Scottish Conservatives believe that people and not government make the decisions that are best for themselves, their families and communities.
- We are a party of responsibility. Scottish Conservatives believe that people must take responsibility for the decisions they make and bear the consequences if they break the law. Freedom cannot exist without responsibility and respect for the rule of law.
- We are a party of localism. Scottish Conservatives believe that decisions should be made as close to the people as possible. Big government stifles local action. We believe in re-empowering local communities.
- We are a party of low taxation. Scottish Conservatives want to see people keep more of the money they earn and not have it eaten up by excessive government spending. We believe in prioritising the family budget over the government budget.
- We are a party of strong but limited government. Scottish Conservatives believe in government that is strong in its guarantee of security, freedom and civil liberties, but limited in its size, cost and ability to interfere in the day to day lives of individuals, families and businesses.
We recently published a book of essays on the ideas behind a Scottish Conservative government which is available below:
Scottish Conservative Unionist March 18